Thursday, August 29, 2013

Gull rings at the Eirol landfill, Portugal. August 28, 2013



On August 28, 41 rings were read at the Eirol landfill. Starting time 7:15 and working until 13:00, under an unbearable sun. A good number of gulls were present at arrival to the site. Although many more were arriving within the following 2-3 hours, the same amount of birds departed to a nearby lake and some back to the NW, the Ria de Aveiro and nearby beaches.  I’d guess that in total there were fewer birds present than during my previous visit on 21-8, roughly 4200.

I would expect there to be more birds by now, as LBBG migration currently is well on its way, so this surprised me a little. There might be a chance that the amount of exposed waste and the amount of waste disposed at the pit has become a limiting factor for the birds. A large part of the open dump has been covered with sand recently. Fyi:  I don’t mind this. To me it’s one of the interesting factors involved in following bird populations at their main artificial food supply.

LBBG rings were applied in Guernsey (16), Great Britain (9, excluding Paul Veron’s Guerney Gulls), The Netherlands (6), France (4), Belgium (2), Germany (1), Denmark (1) and Spain (1). The only ringed YLG that I could find was ringed in Spain.



















No comments:

Post a Comment