Sunday, October 6, 2013

Gull die-off in the Ria de Aveiro

Once a week the dog gets a walk along the a few hundred meter long sand dam on the Ria de Aveiro, at the height of the University of Aveiro. On this walk I identify and count fresh carcasses of birds (and once a feral cat). About three weeks ago I started to notice a rapid increase of dead Lesser Black-backed Gulls and Black-headed Gulls. I usually find (depending on the time of the year and the number of gulls present in the area) about 0-1 gull carcass on each trip. Within the past three weeks I found there the carcasses of 10 LBBG (9 adult and 1 immature) and 4 adult BHG. About two weeks ago I spoke with 'Ines', a UA student who also walks with Juli along the Ria at the height of the university. At that time she told me Juli ran onto the mudflats while chasing a dark gull that could not fly. On October 3 I got informed by an inhabitant of Sao Jacinto that he had noticed an unusual high number of deceased and dying LBBG out on the most southern dam of the peninsula, about 7 kilometers from the earlier location. He told me he found 21 gulls of which a few were still alive. These live birds were unable to walk and were turning their heads backwards in an odd way. Today Flor and I walked our transect again and ran into this adult LBBG showing symptoms of poisoning. About 40 meters from us was another adult LBBG present on the water surface which appeared to be trying to fly, though it did not manage. There were no new carcasses present on the transect, but the recent high tide could have swept away most of the dead matter. I regularly count the number of live LBBG and BHG present at this part of the Ria, which, during today’s upcoming tide, was surprisingly low, compared to earlier high tide visits. I have informed Biology student 'João' from the University of Aveiro about this situation in the hopes that the situation can be investigated. Luis would inform his supervisors about this, what seems to be fair to call, gull die-off in the Ria de Aveiro.






No comments:

Post a Comment